Augustine Insurance - Fort Campbell (931) 431-3677
Augustine Insurance - Clarksville (931) 503-0015

Car Damaged By Tree Branch

Falling objects are not uncommon. Trees can lose branches. Objects can fall from roofs. And many other scenarios exist propel objects toward the ground.

When these fallen items strike a car, they can cause a significant amount of damage. In most cases, auto insurance policies may cover this loss. However, coverage depends on the cause of the damage and the type of policy you have. Here is what to consider.

Do You Have the Right Auto Insurance?

Car insurance policies that protect the value of your car apply here. Specifically, comprehensive insurance is likely to cover a loss from a fallen object. Car insurance provides coverage related to damage from unexpected or accidental incidents. It helps to cover the damage to your car. If you only have liability insurance, you may not have this coverage.

What Caused The Problem?

There are some limitations to falling object coverage. For example, if the damage occurs due to a neighbor's tree limb falling, it might not be covered. Your auto insurance company may defer to that property owner's liability insurance instead.

Another concern relates to who did the damage. If someone in your home threw an object at the vehicle with the goal of damaging it, your coverage may not apply.

Accidental impacts might have coverage. However, you might face a fault penalty for the damage.

How To File Your Claim

If you believe your car insurance policy should cover the damage, contact your Augustine Insurance Group agent. Your agent will instruct you on what the next step is.

Your insurance carrier must first determine if you have coverage. Then, the carrier will need to provide estimate for repairs.

Some insurance carriers allow you to turn to a local provider you know and trust for these services. Others may recommend a company to do the repairs for you.

There is also the need to consider the deductible. This is the amount of money that you must pay before the insurance policy covers the damage. For example, let's say an object fell on the roof of your vehicle. This caused $1,200 worth of damage. You have a $500 deductible. You will need to pay that $500, and the insurance company will cover the remaining $700.

In some cases, the damage may not exceed the required deductible. In these instances, filing a claim won't be beneficial.

Your policy also has limits based on the extensiveness of the damage. If the damage is severe, the insurer may elect to total the car, paying you what it was worth prior to the incident.

Your car insurance policy serves to address your needs. If you do not have the right coverage, contact one of our agents for guidance.

Contact Us

Share |

No Comments

Post a Comment
Required (Not Displayed)

All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
Submission Validation
Change the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code
Enter the Validation Code from above.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.
Blog Archive
  • 2020
  • 2019
  • 2018
  • 2017
  • 2016
  • 2015
  • 2014
  • 2013
  • 2012
  • 2011

View Mobile Version